Monday, September 6, 2010

Mystery Truffles

Even though I feel I was quite lazy this summer, I did manage to accomplish something. About three years ago I started reading the Savannah Reid Mysteries by G.A. McKevett, and on Saturday I finished the last book she has written so far in her 15-book series. I should probably explain that I rarely read series, and even less rarely do I have the time/inkling to finish them. I think one of the reasons I was able to this time was that each book is self-contained. McKevett re-introduces the characters and their basic attitudes toward each other in every volume. I ended up reading the books out of order, but I don't think I would have gained or lost anything by reading them in any particular order.


I came across the Savannah Reid Mysteries when I randomly picked up the book Murder a la Mode at my local library a few years ago. I read and enjoyed the book but never bothered to read any more of the series until I was laid up with a knee injury last summer. I read a few more books, and by the time I reached this past summer I was completely hooked.


G.A. McKevett's mystery series is about a forty-ish self proclaimed "volumptuous" private detective named Savannah Reid. A former California police detective, she founds the "Moonlight Magnolia Detective Agency" after she is fired from the police force for uncovering a bit too much information on one of her cases. Her agency consists of Dirk Coulter, her former partner from her policing days, Tammy Hart, a tiny health-conscious blonde who is a whiz with computers, Ryan Stone, a sexy yet unavailable former FBI agent, and John Gibson, another former FBI agent and Ryan's life partner. Savannah's Granny Reid occasionally makes an appearance when she can find the time to visit.


G.A. McKevett's murder mysteries range from typical to slightly bizarre, but the "ick" factor is never very high. Savannah is quick-witted and always solves her cases even with the myriad of plot twists in each book. Each of these books is like a chocolate truffle--it is a quick, delectable read, and you always find yourself wanting one more. Just be sure to share them with your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment