Sunday, February 12, 2012

Long time, no blog!

It has been a little more than a year and a half since I posted. My ambition to become a book reviewer on this blog fizzled out as things like school and life got in the way. After graduating from UWM I took a job as a substitute teacher in Milwaukee. Last summer I was hired as a high and middle school choir director in a nearby suburb. Oh, and in between I got married to my high school sweetheart. We had a beautiful wedding in April and a fantastic Florida honeymoon in July.


I began teaching choir in August, but things did not start out as well as I had hoped. I discovered how naiive I had been in thinking that teaching groups of teenagers to sing would be easy and fun. As the year progressed things got better, then worse. I am now halfway through the year and pondering the serious question, "Is this what I want to do with my life?" I feel as though I am having some sort of identity crisis. This and several other worries of mine came out in tonight's three-hour-long conversation with my aunt.


I was able to draw several conclusions from our discussion, the most important one being that I am the one in charge of my own happiness. I need to start taking the time to do what I want to do. Long story short, I have decided to ressurect this blog and make the jump from book reviewer to fiction writer. I found a wonderful website about how to write a novel in 100 days, which I will be using to embark on this journey.


Day one is the easiest (or possibly the hardest) part. I must make the commitment to write. This is something I have tried to do in the past, but alas, I am a procrastinator. Today I vow to break free from procrastination and to write every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment